Monday, October 08, 2007

F.R.I.E.N.D.S...

I recently read a blog(Params Blog-Link in the "just stop by" section) describing a scene in PSG College of Technology Hostel life. That really brought back some fond memories for me. Thise three years spent in PSG Tech were 3 of the best years of my life so far. I made some of my closest friends during this period. So what am i going to write in this post? Well... as the name implies its about friends.The first meetings with some of the folks who turned out to be my best friends. The list is in kind of chronological order when the chord of frienship was formed. (Need not be time of first meeting)
First Day in PSG TECH. Just finished admissions. Realized I was the only mallu guy. I thought 'Oh man this may be difficult... i knew only broken Tamil....' Reached Additional Hostel. Alloted Room H66. Supervisor told-Your room mate is Satheesh Kumarr. Went to the room. Found it very tiny. Anyway dumped my suitcase and stood outside not knowing what to do... A huge guy came along(Head completely shaved). I thought 'Wow hes a big guy' and suddenly he came upto me and said 'I am Satheesh Kumarr. You are Rajeev??'. That was a start of a great friendship that continues to this day.. we were roommates for all 3 years in hostel. And because of his Motta Thalai when he joined, he came to be known as 'Thalai'... The Thalai of 01MX. And his tagline was.. 'Known is an Ocean, Unknown is a drop... '
Couple of weeks into the first semester. Seniors hounding for Login Collections. Threatening us with all sorts of dire consequences if we dont make money. One day I was asked to get myself hitched to a day scholar who knew Coimbatore and make sure we went and collected money. Then this really tall guy came up to me (I knew his name was Sriram) and told I can join with him. I had noticed Sriram on the first day because he came to college wearing a round neck tshirt that said "Crazy L'll Devil" (Or something like that :) ). There seemed to be some sort of bond between us. We had a great day. I went to his house, had some food, watched TV and came back to hostel. Of course we did not make any attempt to collect money. That was the start of another wonderful friendship.Sri and I were different in a lot of ways... I suppose the phrase 'Opposites Attract' makes sense. It certainly did for us. We still try to chat daily and seak regularly.
Couple of months had passed. I was never a guy who talked too much to girls. (I know half my classmates will say dei rajeev!!! Poi Sollathe... :) ). But that was the truth (atleast in that first sem). I had spoken little to few girls casually thats all. One day Sriram came and said: 'Dei these girls are having some problem with the PASCAL Spreadsheet. They came and asked me to help.. ha ha ha... '. (Typical Sriram). 'Anyway I said you are the best person to help.'. It turned out the girl who wanted the help was Padmalaya alias Padma alias Padhu. Got talking with her and slowly another great friendship started developing. That bond of friendship got created a few months after that when I chatted with her over IM... This was another awsome friendship and unlike all others we were lucky to go through college and then internship and then get job also in the same company... So this was one friendship that did not need the help of the virtual world to continue... Padma has always been a very important person to me. Of course, the friendship still stands...
So Sriram Padma and i became close friends... Satheesh and I were close and so slowly a group was formed...
Padma had formed a group of her own with Keerthy and Vidya. Popularly known as Keets and Vid. We three guys got to know them well. Keerthy was an awsome eater and would pride herself on managing to have half an idli for breakfast. Vid was a natually friendly person and I always used to say: ' You just need to say Hi Vidya... and thats it. rest non stop talking would be taken care by Vidya... '. I ended up becoming her "brother". A tradition that continues to this day.. Vidya never forgets to send a Rakhi Gift...
First sem exams were aproaching. I got talking with Arun more often. We decided to do combined study. Now, this combined study consisted of sitting in his room, listening to 'Citizen' songs on Hems (Hems coming up later) and talking about everything other than the subject we set out to study. Later we expanded our activities to plying NFS instead of studying. :). Anyways the bond of friendship with Arun was established. And through Arun we all got to know Amar, the ever helpful padam potifying guy... :)
College life got over... and life moved in different directions... Vidya and Keerthy are married and in US now. Padma is engaged and so is Arun. Satheesh, Sri, Amar and me as still single as of today!! :) (You never know what tomorrow brings... :) ). But the bond of friendship we all share is still strong. We still meet up as much as possible. And around 5-6 years have passed since we all first met. Most of us have not changed at all. We are all the same as we were 5 years ago. Hope we can continue to be like that...
F.R.I.E.N.D.S cannot be complete without mentioning Hems(We used to call each other Dobaakoor) and Pisth Yuvraj. We were the food lovers in hostel and none of us had a great opinion of the Hostel mess. So we were the partners in the regular trips to Shahi Grill, Tarot, Chandni etc... Food brought us together and still remains a major topic of discussion among us. Pisth Yuvraj is in Chennai. Hems is married and is now in Bangalore and the friendship continues...
Someone once said... Friendship is not a big thing... its a million little things.... That is something that is really true...

7 comments:

Padmalaya said...

Awesome! I need to pick up phrases that made the article, "Satheesh, Sri, Amar and me as still single as of today!! (You never know what tomorrow brings....) " ; "So this was one friendship that did not need the help of the virtual world to continue" ' :(I know half my classmates will say dei rajeev!!! Poi Sollathe... :) )." ; "Keerthy was an awsome eater and would pride herself on managing to have half an idli for breakfast" ; "You just need to say Hi Vidya... and thats it.. rest non stop talking would be taken care by Vidya" ; These lines explain the trademark unique qualities in each of us. Well, great choice of words filled with fun :) :)

Bharath Pammi said...

hey thats a nice article gud to read man..
Dei rajeev poi sollathe:-) that was funny

Anonymous said...

Hey Rajeev...this is a very nice article man.I am thinking back and I could recollect some things which are very green even today.Things like

Few of us went to the movie AALAVANDAAN(late night show) in bicycles and came back after getting wet in Rain...

Our Delhi visit... etc cannot be forgotten.

Infact you can post a seperate article on our trip to Delhi.

Varunkumar Nagarajan said...

good one Rajeev! :)

nice to know abt ur friends..enjoy life with new friends...have fun!

Jayakumar said...

the tamil words you used in-between the post just plays as an audio of ur voice... ;-)

i dont know whether this one is something in nothing or nothing in something :-)...

but, for all the readers it is really recollecting everything about their "F.R.I.E.N.D.S..."

Kathir said...

It always brings the nostalgic memories dood.. Ummmm.. But it's good to re-collect and u remember it better.. Gimme a Hi-Five!!

But Jee - It's sad dat we couldn't meet here.. :(

VV said...

Hi Rajeev...

Its been some time from your last posting.... and i want you to make a post. :)